Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cachagua Community Fire Meeting Notes, Tularcitos Fire Station...

July 12, 2008, about 10:30 pm...

Quite a few people - 150 or so (but, very few had come from the Mandatory Evacuation Araeas) made it to the Tularcitos Fire Station on Cachagua Grade tonight for an update on the status of the fire.

Cachagua Fire information officer Rod McMahon led meeting, as well as Chuck Dickson, Lead Information Officer for the Unified Command. Representatives of the SCPA and the Red Cross were also on hand.

It was obvious that most were very worried, and Rod, in his inimitable way, brought a reasonable and calming perspective to the day.

Rod explained that the fire "slopped over" the dozer line on Chews Ridge. Contrary to rumors, it was not a backburning effort that had gone awry. The weather conditions had changed and the fire jumped the line.

Firefighters reacted swiftly and with air and ground forces. They got a good handle on the breakout, though there's more to be done.  The tactic now is to cut a new dozer line around the breakout and link the new dozer line with the existing line (dozer lines, by the way, are about 80-100 feet or more wide, according to Buck Silva, one of the lead firefighters on the East Side of the fire).

Rod reiterated that there are a tremendous number of assets on hand to fight the fire, and we should be confident that everything is being done to handle contingencies.

At the same time, it is important to recognize that conditions could become unfavorable at any moment, and shift the balance against us. We must be prepared now to act later.

Once the fire made the jump, the Unified Command made the decision to issue Mandatory Evacuation orders for the Structure Protection Groups nearest the fire. Rod made the point that the IC is simply being conservative in making these choices, to ensure that there's time for everyone to adequately prepare and safely evacuate.

Both Rod and Chuck Dickson mentioned that everyone is stressed and worried. It's very unpleasant for the Sheriff or a CHP officer to have to stop residents from returning to our homes... no one likes it, and the officers are simply trying to do their jobs based on their orders they have at that moment. If you have questions or need help, call Cachagua Fire at 659-7700 (each time I've called, I've gotten a live person - either Rod or Bear - who couldn't have been more helpful).

Respectful and calm discussion will often be met with the same from officials, so try it out and you'll probably have pleasant interaction.

The SPCA wanted to make it clear that they charge NO money to assist with your animals, even  the horses. Any information to the contrary is an ugly ruminant - ummm, no, rumor - so, don't hesitate to call them if you need assistance! For evacuation of large animals, contact the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) or call (831) 373-2631. After 6pm call (831) 646-5534.

Audio for this meeting is at KUSP's website.

Next meeting will be tomorrow (Sunday, July12, 2008) at 6:30 pm, Cachagua Community Park.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, respectful and calm discussion was not met with respectful and calm response.

As I was returning at 11am, the CHP stopped me about a mile from my home and told me I could not pass. I told him my daughter and animals were still up there and needed to go get them. He said "I don't care, my job is to keep you out."

That's not respectful, no matter how you look at it. I abandon my vehicle and walked the rest. It took me 2 hours to get the message to the officer to let me pass.

I then received an automated call from the Sheriff that the evacuation center is in Greenfield. Are we really supposed to be commuting to Carmel Valley Tularcitos meetings from Greenfield? My kids are in summer school, my wife works in Cannery row. That was rediculous.

I agree Rod has a very calming demeanor, and he and the other Cachagua fire fighters are great. The Sheriff was also respectful and reasonable, and helped me resolve the issue w/ the CHP. The SPCA too has been great. The way the CHP and USFS and Red Cross are handling this isn't short of shameful.

My interpretation of today is that the IC Jerry McGowan panicked up there and overreacted. That isn't very reassuring at all, and it caused a whole day of confusion that wasn't necessary.

Anonymous said...

6:00am Sun 7/13 I would like to go to the meeting tonight, but I'm in the man evac zone (9 mile marker Cach Rd). Where are the road blocks? I don't want to go near them. Thanks, and hang in there, Bill Langan

Kelly Erin O'Brien said...

Hi, John!

Thanks for your comment... from what I've heard, the CHP has some 'splainin' ta do, Loo-see after all this is over.

I've heard both nasty situations - a resident getting cuffed at a checkpoint - that are just plain unnecessary. And you are no the first person who drove past the checkpoints and tried to return home to family, only to be prevented.

A good community-officialdom forum addressing how things could have been done better by officials in relation to the community, would be an activity which - by my gauge - many are interested.

Best,

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I've been looking everywhere for a sane, believable report on Saturday's fire chaos since yesterday afternoon, and this is finally where and when I found it.

Thank you.

Whew!

Kelly Erin O'Brien said...

This is a post for Felicia, my neighbor up the road, for John Russo...

"Hi Kelly,

Its Felicia. I tried to register to comment on you blog but I cant get past step one. It keeps telling me to enter my desired password. I do and it tells me its strong but when I click on the TOS it kicks me back to “enter your desired password. Could you please ask John Russo to contact me via email or phone? My number is 659-4346. Looking forward to your next posts.

Felicia"

Anonymous said...

I think a forum to post-mortem this situation would be very valuable. While we all hope there are no more disasters, there are a lot of things that need a looksie.

BTW - there was no checkpoint when I left. Everything was business as usual.

I left a message for Felicia, thanks!