Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Lavender Hill Mob...

July 26, 2008 about 9:45 pm...

Yesterday, our neighbor, John Russo sent me this picture of himself in his field of Lavender. The sign he's holding says "Day 3, July 15, 2008."

As it turns out, John has a wee bone to pick with the Unified Command, regarding the way he and his wife and some other of our neighbors have been treated during the Mandatory Evacuation. 

He's made an attempt to chat with the authorities about it, but he's gotten no joy... in fact, to hear John tell it, you could say that the authorities are downright indelicate about it all.
 
John has the sense that a degree of hubris that he's noticed - rather than softening - is hardening. Truth is, says John, they've written him off. They won't talk to him. Especially after he got Representative Sam Farr in to the act.

John's problem, it appears, is that he's just too damned... ummm... American. Here's what he wrote me tonight, unsolicited, and from the heart. It moved me, so with John's permission, I'm sharing it, here:

"Their attitude is hardening... the hardline (was communicated) directly to Congressman Farr
personally, so they certainly do not feel any need to apologize.

For myself... I feel I am not a criminal. I don't like beeing treated as one. I told... the Sheriff's Department today after (they) told me I "should not" be here, that there is no "should."

I am lawfully here. Art 1. Sect 1. of the California Constitution gives me the *right* to possess and protect property, and to pursue and obtain safety. If I need something to go about my lawful constitutional business, then I see no legal leg for (them) to stand on. (The Sheriff's) department is on thin ice. I should be able to parade proudly down Tassajara Road, and (they are) treating me like a terrorist. 

Terrorist? Yes that is the attitude I have received in trying to establish this communication meeting: "we don't negotiate with terrorists."

The word "civil disobedience" has come up. There is no civil disobedience. We are lawfully here. We have a right to be here. They need to be constantly reminded of that.

I am deeply saddened (a) that in this minor emergency, they that are supposed to protect us (usfs = homeland security) have blasted right to martial law (b) that the sheriff is being a willing accomplice (I have tried and tried to speak directly to Sheriff Kanalakis, I would respect him and work with him, but he will not take my calls, tonight we saw why), (c) that many see this as necessary.

How does democracy die? To thunderous applause.

Like Jack English, I came out here to get away from this maddness, and live quietly in peace with my flowers. Then they come here and bring this with them.

When I was in China this Christmas, we went to the holy mountain Tai Shan. At the base we were told a story. That Confucius traveled there. And where we stood, he met a woman weeping.

"Why do you weep ask Confucius?"
"Because my only son was killed by the tiger," answered the woman.
"Why do you not live in the city where it is safe?"asked Confucius.
"Because I was driven from my home because I could not pay the taxes," answered the woman.
"Ahh," said Confucius, "a bad government is more terrible than the tiger."

(They) may have tiger by the tail, but when (they kill) it, we are still left with the system that makes (them)."


______________________________________________

When was it that our government representatives abandoned dialogue with the very people - American citizens - that they are employed by and pledged to serve???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has anyone thought of a RECALL CAMPAIGN for this Sheriff? There would be plenty of support from Big Sur Valley, the ridges to Carmel Valley...this guy is unlawful, uninterested in protecting citizens rights and downright heavy handed in his approach. RECALL!

Anonymous said...

Check your date! it reads: The Lavender Hill Mob...
July 26, 2008 about 9:45 pm...

Bennie Spiedel said...

How to Recall in California:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/recall.pdf

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting we are called terriosts, it's probably a complement as fighters in the AMERICAN revolution were called the same, So... for being "true" americans,i.e., caring for and defending our property, wanting to live a quiet,self sufficient life, paying taxes,taking care of ourselves and our neighbors,as a community we don't ask for much,just to be left alone,now comes a "military operation" that treats us as witless fools. From a doctor friend I found that asking to sign over any medical records violets federal law ,H.I.P.A., such as asking for your H.I.V. status and of course access to your DENTAL records!!! We should ALL register a respectful complaint with the sheriff office over this. I also feel that there is an effort to turn our community against each other. After all, "divide and conquer" All we really need is concise information given in a timely manner. After all...... we are Americans.